Faith in God (Back to Basics) – Message Outline
- In the spiritual life there is really no such thing as being static. If you’re not moving forward, you’re sliding back.
- I think it’s important for us to revisit some of the foundational principles concerning faith and other subjects. Today we will especially be talking about faith.
What is Faith?
- Faith deals with unseen realities.
- Faith is not just wishful thinking. It is substance. It is evidence. It is confident assurance in a person, not just a principle.
- If you take Jesus Christ or the Father away, faith doesn’t work. If you just want to work principles, you really do not need God at all.
- Our faith is a confident expectation that a person—God—will bring certain things to pass in our life.
- Faith can be general, but it can also be quite specific.
- Because of His unchanging character and nature, we know that He is always faithful. He is always good and merciful.
- Specific faith comes from and is based upon His Word.
- Faith comes by hearing; it goes by not hearing (or it goes by hearing something in place of God’s Word). If there’s a deficiency in faith, it’s almost always because there’s a deficiency in feeding upon the Word.
- Faith comes by hearing, not by having heard. It is so important that we daily feed upon the Word in order for our faith to be growing and active.
- If you will just spend time feeding on the Word—reading, thinking about it, praying about it, and speaking it aloud to yourself—faith will come unconsciously.
How is Faith Expressed?
- You can have faith, but if you don’t respond with appropriate action you’re no better off than demons.
- Faith is an act. In order for faith to have any effect, it must be expressed or released through action.
- Faith can be expressed through our giving.
- God isn’t about goosebumps. When it feels like He’s nowhere around, you walk with Him in those seasons by faith. You’ll probably grow the most during those seasons when you act by faith without feeling God at all.
- Faith is making preparations. When you believe what God says will happen, your action to release your faith is to prepare.
- What has God quickened to your heart? What has He talked to you about? Have you made any preparations at all? Faith is turned loose through making preparations.
- Faith is obedience. It is doing what God tells you even when you don’t know what’s coming next.
- God gives you a little light, and then He expects you to walk in that before He will give you more light.
- If you insist on knowing everything up front, you will not be used very much by God.
- Has God said anything to you? If you have clear direction, act on it. Release your faith.
- Having faith in God means believing that you receive when you pray.
- Even though following Christ means making some pretty major choices about what you must forsake, nothing compares with the staggering blessings God has laid up for those that love Him.
- Once you embrace Christ and are washed in the precious blood of the Lamb, the devil has no more authority over you than Pharaoh did after he was drowned. Jesus came that He might destroy the works of the devil.
Faith in God (Back to Basics) – Part 1
What is faith? Is faith the same as belief, trust, wishful thinking…? Is faith just some set of principles to apply? Why should I have faith, and how will I know if I do? Is it possible to get more faith? How should faith be expressed?
Do you want answers delivered right to your inbox?
Sign up to receive FREE daily devotionals and updates from Bayless.